Rabies isn't the only disease transmitted from animals to humans. In fact, you and your pet may share more diseases than you may realize. Fortunately, it's easy to avoid these diseases or conditio ...View Article
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
If your pet has ingested a substance that is toxic or that you have concerns about call your veterinarian and or an animal poison center.
|Veterinary Poison Emergency Treatment||(800)572-5842||$45.00 fee|
|Poison Control Hotline ASPCA||(888)426-4435||$65.00 fee|
|Pet Poison Hotline||(800)213-6680||$39.00 fee|
National Pesticide Information Center
Some Common Food Toxicities
Slug Bait (Met aldehyde)
Slug bait is toxic to both dogs and cats and it is best to keep pets away from treated areas and/or use slug bait that is labeled as safe for pets.
Signs of slug bait ingestion include:
Panting, fast heart rate, anxiety
Muscle tremors, twitching, stumbling when walking
May result in death if left untreated
Many rat poisons are designed to reduce and/or climate the ability to clot blood. This means that if an animal has ingested rat poison they are more likely to bleed, which may be visible the form of bruises but more seriously may cause internal bleeding.
Signs of rat poison (anti-coagulation form) include:
Bleeding of the gums, blood in the vomit or stool, coughing blood
Pale gums, weakness.
If left untreated, rat poison may cause severe bleeding leading to death.
Antifreeze is enticing to pets due to its sweet taste. However, just a small amount can be extremely toxic to the kidneys and cause failure, which may result in death. Early signs of antifreeze ingestion are stumbling when walking, vomiting and depression. Seizures, increased urination (eventually becoming little to no urination), and increased thirst may also be seen. Antifreeze is extremely toxic and it’s crucial to take your pet to a veterinarian immediately.